U.S. highways are incredibly busy. People in all kinds of vehicles are traveling to work, vacation, and a variety of other places. There’s no time for fear when you are traveling at high speeds next to a variety of vehicles. Yet, there are people who are terrified of driving next to a semitruck.
The sheer size of the truck is enough to give a driver pause. You know that your tiny car is no match for a very large truck should there be an accident. That’s why it’s important to drive safely and with confidence.
Safety tips for sharing the road with semitrucks
- Be vigilant. Stay within the speed limit and constantly survey your surroundings. If a truck is behind you, move to the right as soon as possible and let them pass.
- Keep away from blind spots. These include the right side of the truck, which is the biggest blind spot, behind the truck, and in front of the cab.
- Signal your intentions if you need to turn or pass the truck.
- Never cut a truck off. Truck drivers cannot brake as quickly as you can. They take twice the distance to come to a stop as a car does.
- Maintain a safe distance when you follow a semitruck.
- Avoid distractions such as the phone, the radio dial, and the cup of coffee sitting in your cupholder.
Take your time as you travel so that you can drive safely past semitrucks on the highway.
What if I have an accident with a semitruck?
Sometimes, accidents happen regardless of how cautiously you drive. Should you have an accident with a semitruck, contact an experienced legal guide to help you navigate the aftermath.